Take a Bite out of Cavities with Dental Sealants
Fed up with fighting cavities? Get the proven protection of dental sealants from your family dentistry expert. Learn why this simple treatment is such a popular, powerful, and preventative measure.
The Case for Sealants
Plastic coatings applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth, called dental sealants, prevent food and bacteria from becoming trapped in teeth’s deep grooves and leading to tooth decay. Family dentistry professionals recommend dental sealants to protect these vulnerable teeth and prevent the development of decay. Sealants are available in either lightly tinted or completely clear styles, which makes them practically invisible. Another advantage is that sealants usually cost much less than fillings. Available at most affordable dentistry clinics, sealants can help you save the cost of later treatment.
The Best Ages and Stages for Sealant Application
Developed more than 50 years ago, dental sealants are now widely used by family dentistry specialists on children, teens, and adults. The greatest preventative benefits come from applying sealants at these times:
- Children should get sealants on their first permanent molars as soon as they emerge, usually between the ages of five and seven.
- Kids should also get their second permanent molars sealed once they appear in the early teen years.
- Dentists may recommend that children get sealants on teeth other than their molars, depending on their dental care needs.
- Baby teeth can sometimes benefit from the protection of dental sealants.
- Even teens and adults without existing decay or fillings in their molars can get sealants at any time to protect against future decay.
The Simple 6-Step Process for Getting Sealants
Dental sealants can be applied in a single visit to your affordable dentistry practice. The application process is amazingly fast, simple, and pain-free. The entire procedure only takes these few steps:
- The teeth to be treated are cleaned well and dried.
- Then, a special solution is placed on the teeth to prepare them for bonding with the sealant.
- That solution is rinsed away and the teeth are dried.
- Next, the liquid sealant material is applied over the deep grooves of the teeth.
- Then, a special light is used to harden the sealant.
- Finally, the sealant is set and ready to protect teeth from cavities.
Even though sealants can last for a decade or more, they can chip, break, or come off. Be sure to have your family dentistry specialist examine your sealants at each dental check-up. If they show signs of wear, they can be easily and affordably replaced to continue protecting your smile.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in St. Clair Shores, call Gentle Dental of St. Clair Shores today at (248) 850-1809 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in St. Clair Shores. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Michigan, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of St. Clair Shores, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of St. Clair Shores.