Top Dental Care Tips to Keep Teeth in Top Shape
Are you happy with your smile? To make it even better, you need to practice proper dental care. Follow this expert advice to make your smile the best it can be.
Eliminate the Problem of Plaque
Plaque is a problem you don’t want to have. It’s a sticky substance that accumulates on teeth after consuming sugary or starch-filled foods. Plaque is brimming with bacteria, which can cause tooth decay, gum disease, sensitivity, and other dental care problems. In addition to getting regular check-ups and cleanings from an affordable dentist, the best way to get rid of plaque is by brushing twice a day and flossing once each day.
Remember to Brush Twice a Day
Brushing removes plaque from the surfaces of teeth. Unfortunately, some people don’t brush properly and they’re left with accumulated plaque and problems. To help everyone brush better, the best dentist will recommend these simple steps:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush, moving the brush in a gentle, back-and-forth motion.
- Place the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle against your gums.
- Brush the outside, inside, and chewing surfaces of teeth.
- Always brush your tongue to remove bacteria and freshen your breath.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste to help protect your teeth from decay.
Don’t Forget to Floss
While brushing is the first step in fighting plaque, the other essential dental care habit is flossing. Flossing removes the food particles trapped between teeth, which can cause plague and lead to gum disease. Instead of needing to have dental care problems treated by an affordable dentist, prevent them by flossing once a day in the following way:
- Pull off around 18 inches of floss and wrap it around each hand, holding it between your thumbs and forefingers.
- Glide the floss between your teeth with a gentle, back-and-forth motion.
- Firmly hold the floss against each tooth as you go.
- Curve the floss against the tooth when it reaches the gum line, and then guide the floss away from the gum with short, up-and-down motions.
- Use a fresh 18-inch section of floss on every tooth.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in St. Clair Shores, call Gentle Dental of St. Clair Shores today at (248) 850-1809 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in St. Clair Shores. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Michigan, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of St. Clair Shores, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of St. Clair Shores.