What Parents Need to Know about Kids Periodontal Disease
You probably often worry about your child’s health and well being, but you should also be concerned about dental health. See what you can do to keep your child safe from gum disease.
Common Causes of Kids Periodontal Disease
You strive to protect your child’s health, but are you aware of their risk of gum disease? Parents are often surprised that their child can have this dental distress, but the risk is real. The mildest and most common form of periodontal disease is simply called gum disease. If a case becomes chronic and doesn’t receive treatment, it can become the more severe form, known as periodontal disease. Certain factors can greatly increase the risk of gum disease in kids, including:
- Deficient dental hygiene
- Hormonal fluctuations
- Some serious diseases, such as cancer, diabetes, and autoimmune disorders
Signs You Can’t Afford to Ignore
Gum disease in kids often makes itself known through a range of painful symptoms. Luckily, this dental problem can be completely avoided with proper dental care and regular professional treatment. Since early detection makes for easier treatment, take your child to your family dentist as soon as you spot these symptoms:
- Soreness and pain in gums
- Swollen, red, tender gums
- Bleeding in gums during regular brushing and flossing
- Bad breath that won’t go away
- Gums that begin to recede
- Loss of dental bone
Make Prevention a Priority
Rather than risk your child’s dental health, be pro-active about preventing periodontal disease. Try these trusted tips to help your child avoid any dental discomfort:
- Take care of your child’s teeth and gums when they’re very young.
- Ask your family dentist to provide you with timely dental advice and healthy guidelines.
- Teach your child good oral hygiene habits.
- Be sure your child brushes and flosses daily.
- Schedule regular trips to your family dentist for dental checkups and cleanings.
- If gum disease runs in your family, pay extra attention to preventing kids periodontal disease.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in St. Clair Shores, call Gentle Dental of St. Clair Shores today at (248) 850-1809 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in St. Clair Shores. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Michigan, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of St. Clair Shores, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of St. Clair Shores.