See the Light about Tooth Discoloration
If your teeth are dark and discolored, your smile can affect your overall confidence. Discover what you can do to whiten your smile and brighten your outlook.
Causes of Cases of Stained Teeth
Did you know there are many causes of the discoloration of teeth? Some are within your control, while others happen naturally, but the main reasons for tooth discoloration include:
- Drinking dark beverages like coffee, tea, cola, and wine
- Eating dark-colored foods, such as beets, berries, soy sauce, and tomato sauce
- Trauma to a permanent tooth
- Aging because it naturally causes tooth enamel to recede, which exposes the dark layer beneath called dentin
- Tobacco use
Pointers to Prevent the Discoloration of Teeth
Luckily, you can avoid the stress and shame of stained teeth with a few simple precautions. Follow these dental tips to stop stains from starting a problem:
- Maintain good oral hygiene at home by brushing, flossing, and rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash every day, as directed by your dentist.
- Brush your teeth after every meal and snack.
- Rinse your mouth with water after consuming dark-colored beverages.
- Don’t delay any needed dental procedures because this can cause the discoloration of teeth.
- Get professional dental cleanings on a regular basis to polish away stains.
Tactics to Tackle Tooth Discoloration
If you’re hiding your smile because of stained teeth, it’s time to see the light. You have a variety of tooth whitening options, depending on your needs. These are most popular:
- Professional tooth whitening in the dentist’s office, which is done by a dentist and delivers the most dramatic and fastest results.
- Whitening kits from your dentist for at-home use can remove most stains, but they require more time than in-office treatments.
- Over-the-counter, whitening products for home use are weaker than professional treatments, so they don’t whiten teeth as much or as quickly.
- Tooth whitening toothpastes can remove some lighter stains, but deliver the least overall whitening.
- Dental crowns or veneers can cover up signs of staining that are resistant to the whitening products.
Ask your dentist which way is best for you to whiten and brighten your teeth.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in St. Clair Shores, call Gentle Dental of St. Clair Shores today at (248) 850-1809 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in St. Clair Shores. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Michigan, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of St. Clair Shores, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of St. Clair Shores.